Twitter

Follow me on Twitter (@DCThome) and Facebook.

Monday, March 31, 2014

Going global with romance and panties

The Man Writing a Romance has been writing about sex, love and panties for more than three years, but this the first time I’ve addressed sex, love and panties as part of an international blog tour.

My good friend Pam DuMond invited me, so thank her by following this link and buying one or two downloads of each of her books. Also note that I’ve done no hasty and ridiculously incomplete research for this post. If you doubt any of my answers, Googling won’t help you.

What am I working on?
That would be San Fernando Dreams, the third in the Fast Lane Romance series. This installment continues the stories of Palm Springs Heat heroine Lara Dixon and Malibu Bride heroine Sushma Vishnuveda. It features a love story involving Douglyss Fancher, the acerbic, foul-mouthed ingénue introduced in Malibu Bride. The stories intersect when these three women team up to make a renegade movie.

Douglyss has turned out to be the most complex character I’ve ever written. Because I’m a total pantser—writer lingo for “outline, my ass”— I did not know this would be the case until I started writing. The story line is tricky, too, since it also involves secret twins.

How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I could say that it’s that my romances are written by a man, but some readers have said they can’t tell just by reading them. What sets all three books apart is that they question common perceptions. Like, “Is the guy who runs a male-oriented website crammed with photos of hot women a slimebag?” Not once you get to know him. And, “Is the demanding female executive nothing but a hellacious bitch?” Read between the lines. And finally, “Is the starlet with a reputation just a punk-ass slut?” It’s not a spoiler if I tell you the answer is “no.” I mean, what is a “slut,” anyways? Douglyss likes sex. Who doesn’t?

Why do I write what I do?
In addition to the romances, I’ve written twenty screenplays, including four that were optioned or otherwise came close to being made into movies. One theme runs strong throughout this body of work: My heroes and heroines tend to sell themselves short, but find their strength when fighting for justice. I’m not talking Mr. Smith Goes to Washington; I’m talking, for the most part, people who rage against the machine of stereotypes. I have some experience with that. I was the only male teller at a savings and loan for three years, stayed home with a baby for three years, and for the past three years I've been a man who writes romance novels. If you think any of that makes me less of a man, I have three thoughts for you:

  • A guy who works every day with a bunch of sweaty dudes is more manly than one who works with a dozen good-looking young women?

  • My romance heroines are all hot and get laid by rich men.

  • You take care of a baby for three years, and then we’ll talk.

How does your writing process work?
I don’t outline anymore because I would go off track by page two—and the new direction has always been more organic, more informed by character and more satisfying than whatever I’d planned. Action = character, and I enjoy the freedom of letting the stories flow from my characters, for surprising results.

Okay, that almost got kind of serious. What are you gonna do? I pansted this whole post.

Moving on, here’s what you need to know about the two outstanding writers I’ve invited to join this tour on Monday, April 7:

Katherine Lowry Logan, author of time-travel romances The Ruby Brooch and The Last McKlenna. She sells lots of these because they’re really good. Here’s where you can find her on Amazon, and this is her blog. She’s also a goddess of Twitter, and I’m sure she’d be thrilled if you followed her (@KathyLLogan).

Laura Roberts writes funny books with names like 69 Sexy Haiku and The Top 5 Reasons You Can’t Get Laid in Montreal. The titles are self-explanatory, the writing in-your-face. Here’s a link to her Amazon book page, and one to her blog.

PS: To ManWARriors in Turks & Caicos, Azerbaijan and Moldova, as well as the U.S., Germany and Russia—thanks for already having been part of my own personal “international blog tour.”
 

2 comments:

Pamela DuMond, D.C. said...

Hey thanks for the shout-out Dave.

You pant-ser you.

originaloflaura said...

Thanks for tagging me, Dave! My post is up on my blog now at http://buttontapper.com/2014/04/07/a-to-z-time-out-for-erotica-blog-hopping/

Cheers!